I was writing a question on Home Improvement, when I realized that I don't really know how to use the two words floor and flooring.
Here's one example from familyhandyman.com that confuses me:
How to Install Pine Floors: Complete instructions for DIY installation of easy-care wide-plank pine flooring.
Can someone please clarify what the correct use of these two words are? I would appreciate if all the different meanings of each word is explained. I have made an attempt below, but I'm not sure if it's correct.
- "The second floor" - refers to level 2 (or 3, depending) in a building.
- "The second floor I installed..." - floor refers to a general floor in a room (don't know anything about material)
- "Pine floor" - refers to the type of material (pine) used on the floor
- "Vinyl flooring" - refers to the type of material (vinyl) used on the floor
- "I haven't done any flooring before" - flooring refers to the action of installing a floor
I think some of them sound strange, but are the following correct sentences?
- "I floored the floor using vinyl flooring"?
- "I used pine floor on the floor."
- "The house has pine floors."
- "The house has pine flooring."
- "I'm flooring with pine flooring"?