I'm not talking about a water fountain, nor a power source. In Spanish, both of these things,

enter image description here

which you can cook meat, pizza, etc. with, are called ‘fuente’ or ‘asadera’. The first is for general purposes, the second is usually used for pizza. Which are the correct translations, or at least which terms do you use for each one? For the first image I found roasting pan, but I don't think that term could be used for the second image. Should I call it a pizza pan?

  • 1
    How heavyweight is that second pan? If you hit someone on the head with it will you end up with (a) a dead someone or (b) a head-shaped indentation in the pan?
    – High Performance Mark
    Commented Jul 20, 2023 at 15:55
  • 6
    Generically, pan works. Depending on the dimensions, I'd call the second a pie pan. Commented Jul 20, 2023 at 15:55
  • 1
    @HighPerformanceMark No, usually are very lightweight pans. Think they are of aluminium, tin or any malleable metal
    – tac
    Commented Jul 20, 2023 at 16:00
  • 4
    If you search your favorite online store for baking tray or pizza tray you'll find many such things. A roasting pan is typically deeper for roasting meat with juices.
    – Stuart F
    Commented Jul 20, 2023 at 16:29
  • 2
    Pizza pan is perfectly understandable and common. There's even the term pan-style pizza which means pizza cooked in a pan with edges, as opposed to being placed directly on a rack or stone. Pan-style pizza is generally thicker and may have more toppings.
    – barbecue
    Commented Jul 22, 2023 at 21:57

3 Answers 3


Both could be called baking / cooking pans. Here, for example, is a "Cuisinart 18-in Aluminum Baking Pan" sold by Lowe's, a major U.S. home goods retailer:

enter image description here

They can also be called baking sheets or cookie sheets (especially the rectangular one). (However, it might be a bit too deep and thick for that; I can't tell for certain.) Here is a "Gibson Home Sweet Bake 3-Piece Cookie Sheet Set" sold by Walmart:

enter image description here

The item in your second image (which appears to have the right dimensions for making deep-dish pizza) can be called a "pizza pan", as you say. However, a "roasting pan" is usually deep enough to roast a whole turkey, pork loin, etc.; neither of your dishes appears to be deep enough for that.

"Baking tray" (as mentioned in another answer) can also be used.

This answer is for American English; other terms might be used in other dialects.

  • 10
    In BrE it would be "tray" not "pan". Baking tray for example. Commented Jul 21, 2023 at 0:44
  • 8
    @David, as a Brit, I find it hard to imagine a pan without a handle, and all of my saucepans have lids. I'd never put my pans in an oven - only pots, dishes or trays. It seems this is an area of language that varies wildly between regions. I find it surprising that terminology varies so much; it's understandably that newer technologies such as automotive developed different language in different places, but cookery seems much longer established. Commented Jul 21, 2023 at 8:26
  • 2
    As yet another Briton, I think the distinction between "tray" and "pan" can best be determined by the height of the edge: both are common. OTOH, "sheet" is used rather less. Commented Jul 21, 2023 at 10:00
  • 2
    Based on these comments, I think that @TobySpeight is right: There is a lot of variation in terminology. The terms that I've offered are what I've often heard throughout my life, living mostly in New York City and Washington, DC. Commented Jul 21, 2023 at 15:21
  • 2
    @GlennWillen And for completeness, most pizza (at least where I'm from) is cooked on a big round stone, called, appropriately, a "round" or "stone." Commented Jul 21, 2023 at 15:55

Not one word but two, they are often called baking trays or baking sheets. Cambridge Dictionary has

baking tray
noun, UK
(US baking sheet)
a sheet of metal with low sides, used for baking food

They show a picture of one, and here are a lot more images.

  • 4
    In Britain lots of recipes etc refer to them as "oven trays", or "baking trays". The ones with higher sides eg. for joints of meat etc., I think are usually called "roasting pans".
    – WS2
    Commented Jul 20, 2023 at 21:59
  • 1
    @WS2 or "roasting tins". "Baking sheet" is also quite widely used in the UK
    – Chris H
    Commented Jul 21, 2023 at 12:52

Call the first one a baking tray or baking pan. The second one is a pizza dish /pan. At least that's what I call them.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .