Let's say I am closing a door, and my palm's skin gets stuck between the doors, and started bleeding. What word can I use to describe this situation?

  • 2
    Probably 'caught'. 'I caught my hand in the door', 'my skin got caught in the door' etc.
    – Au101
    Commented Aug 22, 2023 at 20:09
  • 3
    Pinched, trapped, squeezed Commented Aug 22, 2023 at 20:11

3 Answers 3


For me (west coast USA), it's "I jammed my finger in the door". This seems to be common: Wikipedia has an article for "Jammed Finger" (warning: medical images of x-rays and swollen fingers, etc)

Google also attests to "caught", "pinched", "slammed" and "smashed" as being common.

  • 2
    I've lived in the western US for many years as well, but "jammed" has a different sense of meaning than "caught." "Jammed" implies being driven forcibly. A "jammed" finger would be equivalent to a "stubbed" toe.
    – Biblasia
    Commented Aug 23, 2023 at 2:47

If you really mean the palm (wedging a little bit of skin from the palm between the door and the jamb), "pinched" is probably the best word.

I accidentally pinched the skin of my palm in the door when I closed it.


For more casual terms, I would recommend "I caught my finger in the door". Many doctors and professional places call it "smashed" or "jammed". All seem perfectly fine to me.

However, I might interpret "smashed" a bit differently, as it shows extra force made when you accidentally closed it on your palm/finger.

Do note that catching your palm in the door sounds a bit off, I would say "I caught/jammed my hand" instead of palm.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .