In the context of common hardware items, for instance:

  • 2 screws
  • 2 bolts

If these are sold in a single packaged product, should it be called a 'fastener combo', 'fastener set' or 'fastener assortment'? Does the same rule apply if describing the price? For instance, is it called a 'combo price', 'set price' or 'assortment price'? If the same item is sold singly, should I describe it as '1 screw at normal price' or 'original price'? Thank you.

  • 2
    spelling: fastener. Sep 15, 2023 at 12:54
  • I'd expect "set" or "kit". It depends if the user would be expected to use all the parts together or not. "Combined price" and "individual price" would be clear; but check your local hardware store/website to see what they use. "Combo" is more colloquial, although it's often used by e.g. fast food restaurants for a "meal deal".
    – Stuart F
    Sep 15, 2023 at 13:07
  • None of those. combo/set/assortment are applied to different realities. combo does not apply to screws and bolts. An assortment of screws and bolts are many of them. And set is 2 of something. So...
    – Lambie
    Sep 15, 2023 at 13:19
  • 1
    I would expect a set to be a collection of fasteners used for completing a specific task, whereas an assortment would be a collection of different sizes, etc. for general use. Combo sounds odd to me in this context, I wouldn't know quite which to expect. Probably same as assortment. Sep 15, 2023 at 13:58
  • Thank you. I was not expected all the parts to be used together. So I can use none of these words...Maybe I should simply say 'screws and bolts'.
    – Jiro F.
    Sep 15, 2023 at 14:45

1 Answer 1


Everything but "assortment" is acceptable.

"Set" is best, perhaps because combo sounds like you're trying to sell me fast food or a great deal when I am buying something bland.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .