If I'm watching the T.V with my friend or somebody and I want to ask him\her to make the level of the sound of the T.V or radio higher, How to express that soundly?

Could I say, "could you make the radio louder"? Is that ok? How to say that in everyday language?

By the way, What is better, The sound of radio (even if it's a human who is talking throw the radio) or the voice of a radio?

  • 1
    To answer your last question, it's the "volume" of the radio.
    – Jim
    Sep 24 '14 at 23:33

Turn it up. Could you turn it up?

(These are natural, everyday expressions.)

You could also designate the program or content rather than the device (television or radio).

For example:

Turn the news up, I can't hear it.

The above sentence could refer to either a radio or television, or even computer speakers. But you are referring to the content of what you are listening to, rather than to the device you are listening to.)

  • And if you want the volume turned way up (it's your favorite rock song, for instance) you might say "Crank it up!" Jul 23 '15 at 2:37

could you turn the (TV/radio) up ?

The (TV/radio) sound is called "volume".

  • 1
    Also, "Please turn up (or turn down) the volume." as in turning a knob on the radio or TV.
    – ColleenV
    Sep 24 '14 at 20:04

@CarSmack's answer is excellent, but to answer your second question, a "voice" can realistically only belong to a person or a group of people. Radios do not qualify as humans (nor do other inanimate objects that make noise) and therefore "The sound of the radio" is the correct sentence.

  • What about the volume as mohamed pointed out? Is it ok to say , the volum of the radio? and if yes, what is the difference then? Sep 24 '14 at 23:47
  • 2
    Yes @user2444 you can also say "Turn the volume up." This has the same meaning as when referring to the device or its content. "Volume" can also refer to a person's voice. A common but informal way to alert a person that they are speaking louder than necessary is simply to say "volume" or "Watch your volume."
    – user6951
    Sep 25 '14 at 14:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.