Merriam Webster defines typo as an error (as of spelling) in typed or typeset material.

What is a misreading error called? Seeo? For example, I misread chuck as chunk.

  • 1
    'Typo' is a shortening of 'typographical error' (a mistake made during the process of typing, especially one caused by a slip of the fingers). I don't think there is a similar shortening of 'reading error'. Feb 23 at 13:37
  • 7
    Misreading can be used as a noun. No need to add "error" after it. See misreading. e.g. He though it said "chuck", but this was a misreading.
    – Billy Kerr
    Feb 23 at 13:42
  • 3
    I've been known to call them "thinko" or "braino". Feb 23 at 14:48
  • 2
    How could there be a problem with calling that either a 'misread(ing)' or simply a 'mistake'? Feb 23 at 23:27
  • 1
    I've heard them called a "speako", which is really leaning into the analogy with "typo", but it is not at all a common term, and every time I've seen it, it was said with a wink, acknowledging that it's a bit of a joke.
    – JonathanZ
    Feb 24 at 0:43

2 Answers 2


Misreading or misread are acceptable terms for this.:

Any case of suspected misread loses A (and B) marks on that part, but can gain the M marks.

"Seebo" would not be understood (it's not a word).

  • Neither Cambridge nor Webster's carry a noun definition for 'misread' so I would be very hesitant to follow this advice.
    – Astralbee
    Feb 24 at 11:44
  • 1
    No "misread" as a verb, and "misreading" as a participle (that could head an NP)
    – James K
    Feb 24 at 11:49
  • 1
    Your example sentence seems to be using "misread" as a noun.
    – Barmar
    Feb 24 at 15:09
  • 1
  • @JamesK Right, so "a case of misread" would be wrong. It's not natural to say "a case of [verb]". We say things like "a case of wrongdoing", where 'wrongdoing' is a noun - the name of a kind of action. Have you ever heard of somebody call it "wrongdo"?
    – Astralbee
    Feb 25 at 18:41

There are some nouns, but some aren't nearly as common as 'typo', and they aren't necessarily specific to reading.

  • A gaffe is any unintentional act or remark. It is often used to describe mistakes when reading out loud (such as when a newsreader misreads their autocue). But it also implies that some embarrassment occurred, so may not apply if you were not reading out loud unless perhaps you later made an error from acting on your misreading.
  • A mondegreen is a misheard phrase, but especially applies to song lyrics.
  • An eggcorn is a commonly misused phrase that arises from a mishearing, especially one that fundamentally changes the meaning. It is sometimes used for the written word but implies that it has been written incorrectly following a mishearing from the author.

In the absence of a noun, you could just say "reading error", given that 'typo' is short for typographical error.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .