I know I can say:
(1) I want to withdraw $100 from my bank account.

But I'm interested in whether the verb "withdraw" can be used with the place where the money will come to. For example:
(2) I want to withdraw $100 from one of my bank accounts to my other bank account.
(3) I want to withdraw $100 from my Google wallet to my PayPal wallet.
Or just:
(4) I want to withdraw $100 to my new bank account.

So, are (2), (3) and (4) correct?

  • It’s fine for me. Feb 25 at 6:10
  • No, you are describing a funds' transfer. 2, 3 and 4 are incorrect. You might look up some of this stuff.
    – Lambie
    Feb 26 at 0:48

2 Answers 2


The word used for this is "transfer":

I want to transfer £100 from one of my bank accounts to my other bank account.

I want to transfer £100 to my new bank account.

This is but I'm not aware that Americans use a different term.

  • "Transfer" is also the correct word to use in American English. If you want to use "withdraw", you have to also use "deposit": I want to withdraw $100 and deposit it in my new bank account. Feb 25 at 11:39
  • AmE is exactly the same. And yes, withdrawing money and transferring money are two different things.
    – Lambie
    Feb 26 at 0:47

While all of these are comprehensible, we don't usually use it this way when "withdraw" is transitive. James' suggestion of "transfer" is the most efficient; if one insists on "withdraw," it would usually be paired with "deposit": "I withdrew $100 from Account A and deposited it into Account B."

But note, people can "withdraw to" a place, usually as a retreat, as from stress or when describing military maneuvers. E.g. "the monks withdrew to their monastery," or "the cavalry withdrew to the other side of the river." It's not a usage we would have cause to use often, and note it doesn't have anything to do with transitive uses in which we "withdraw something."

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .