On the Internet, I have seen many names such as revolving gate, turnstile gate, revolving gate with turnstiles or just turnstile.

I don't really trust every source on the Internet because there are many non-native speakers running websites where they sell their products.

Thank you in advance! :-)

enter image description here

  • 1
    I don't know that we have a universal name for them. I think all four of those options are things somebody might reasonably use.
    – Kaia
    Commented Jun 3 at 17:25
  • Thank you so much!:-)
    – K945
    Commented Jun 3 at 17:48
  • I agree with @Kaia - as a native speaker living in the US northeast, I don't think there's a single correct name for this item. Much of the US/canada doesn't have this item at all - I've only really seen them in high-density areas like really big cities, and I suspect the name for them may vary regionally. Commented Jun 3 at 17:48
  • Where did you find the image?
    – James K
    Commented Jun 3 at 18:50
  • The whole device is called a turnstile. A turnstile is a kind of revolving gate. No need to add the word "gate" after it.
    – Billy Kerr
    Commented Jun 3 at 21:55

2 Answers 2


Turnstiles The image you have attached is of a turnstile.(USA, Canada, UK)

The purpose is to automate the entry and exit. Only one person can pass through these gates at a time so they are typically used to reinforce a one-way stream of traffic or to restrict entry to those who insert a coin, ticket or pass of some kind.

The Oxford dictionary meaning of a turnstile = a metal gate that moves round in a circle when it is pushed, and allows one person at a time to enter a place. The term 'revolving gates' cannot be used to describe it as it is a general term. While the word 'turnstile' is enough to convey what you have in mind. The other words+ revolving, gates etc are superfluous

But as they are available in various designs, they are described differently. The image shown is a Full height turnstile.

Types of turnstiles include 1. Tripod turnstile 2. Swing turnstile 3. Flap barrier turnstile 4. Full height turnstile 5. Sliding turnstile 6. Speed gate turnstile 7. Half height turnstile 8. Drom arm turnstile

Note : The terms described here are technical terms understood by majority of the manufacturers in Europe and US.

  • I don't think most native speakers would be able to identify the difference between a speed gate turnstile and a drom arm turnstile. If you really need to disambiguate, I'd think arbitrary adjectives are more likely than specific type names.
    – YonKuma
    Commented Jun 3 at 18:32
  • 1
    Our company in Dubai was dealing in this. Turnstile is a common term in Europe and US. Those are various models of turnstiles, the purpose is the same. Commented Jun 3 at 18:37
  • So revolving gate is incorrect and unnatural?
    – K945
    Commented Jun 4 at 10:36
  • I have used the technical terms used by the manufacturers of turnstiles. As mentioned by you the common man uses various terms. If you wish to know the correct terms I suggest that you visit the turnstile manufacturers sites in Canada (Google search). My search showed these results - 1. grainger.ca/en/category/turnstiles/… 2. alvaradomfg.com/product-c/secured-entry-control/… Commented Jun 4 at 13:39
  • No, it is an revolving door.
    – Lambie
    Commented Jun 6 at 15:56

It is not a gate. It is a type of entrance to a building.

enter image description here


from: © 2024 MairsTurnstile-Online.

Here is a regular turnstile. from an old MBTA line (Boston) from a Wikipedia image:

enter image description here

Not all revolving doors have a turnstile

Here is a revolving door without a turnstile:


  • @JamesMathai No, it is not. Those without turnstiles are called revolving doors. Google it and you will see. And it's very used to describe politicians going back and forth with the private sector. I cannot believe the downvotes. The picture by the OP comes from the people who sell it.
    – Lambie
    Commented Jun 7 at 14:14
  • Are you referring to the image you sent? Or Is it revolving glass doors? Revolving glass doors are used in shopping complexes. It's purpose is different. I also don't understand why people down vote. It is discouraging. Be democratic and let's have a healthy debate. Commented Jun 7 at 14:18
  • @JamesMathai There are three things here: A revolving door (general term, see my edited answer), a revolving door with a turnstile AND a regular waist-high turnstile. They all are used to control entry to a place.
    – Lambie
    Commented Jun 7 at 14:24
  • The third picture is of a revolving glass door - which can be used to control entry. It's main purpose is to prevent hot air and dust to enter inside. Commented Jun 9 at 21:57
  • @JamesMathai Whoever dv'ed me is mistaken. There are two types of revolving doors and one that is just a turnstile, if the first were not that (turnstile revolving door) it would not be being marketed under that term. The purpose is not that in a cold climate. It also keeps out the cold in winter and keep the cool air from AC inside in the summer.
    – Lambie
    Commented Jun 9 at 23:10

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .