enter image description here

enter image description here

What do you call the ''rope'' you move a rolling shutter up and down with in American English?

  • It's misleading to present a picture of a 1 in 1000 flat blind cord. We don't have a special word to distinguish the flat type, and normally the fact that any particular cord happens to be flat wouldn't be of any significance, so we wouldn't bother with the word flat anyway. Commented Jun 11 at 13:33
  • You should remove that second picture as it is unrelated to the first and is therefore another question. That second picture is not a picture of the cord used to raise and lower a shutter.
    – Lambie
    Commented Jun 11 at 15:55

2 Answers 2


It's called a cord.

'Cord' can just be another word for string, and some might call it that too, but when it activates or controls something, 'cord' is usually the name for it - for example, a pull-cord is the name for the string/cord that activates a light; the cord you pull to open a parachute is a ripcord. You'll see from this website that your specific cord is listed as such.

  • I see. Thanks. I thought cord was a misnomer because cords and strings are round and thin but the thing in the pictures is flat and relatively wide.
    – Z6547
    Commented Jun 11 at 8:20
  • 1
    I'd prefer strap because it's clearly not a cord - in my experience, blinds are usually operated by a thin cord (or a winch or motor), and if there isn't one, you need to make it clear that there's a different mechanism or else people will be looking for a thin string to pull. Belt would do, but it's probably better to be more explicit: "Pull on the white strap hanging down in the middle".
    – Stuart F
    Commented Jun 11 at 9:20
  • 1
    @StuartF It's definitely not a strap - that, by definition, is a cord or other material that secures or fastens something - there's even the verb to strap [something] down. And yes, some kinds of blinds have different kinds of moving parts such as a wand tilt mechanism for opening the slats, but they often also have a pull cord for raising the blinds altogether. I don't think the OP is looking for the name of alternative mechanisms, just what is pictured.
    – Astralbee
    Commented Jun 11 at 10:03
  • 1
    While the long flat material is still on the roll in bulk, you could call it tape, but once it’s been installed on its mechanism for operating the blinds, then I agree that cord is better. Commented Jun 11 at 10:39
  • 1
    @Z6547 I've responed to all the comments. None of these people have submitted answers of their own. I've had 5 upvotes. I've linked to a site that sells these commercially and calls them cords.# Who do you think you should believe?
    – Astralbee
    Commented Jun 11 at 11:48

You can draw your own conclusions after considering these two items:

SUMMARY: The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (Commission or CPSC) has determined that custom window coverings with accessible operating cords longer than 8 inches pose an unreasonable risk of strangulation to children 8 years old and younger.Nov 28, 2022

And here's a Google search hit for a sponsored ad from a major US online retailer:

Blinds With Pull Cords

Wayfair https://www.wayfair.com › keyword › keyword=blinds...

The cordless operation makes them safe around children and pets. Included strap fasteners make rolling the shade to any desired height easy, [my emphasis]

So you would have to decide whether you want the term the average speaker might use, or the term the manufacturer might use, for the pull device shown in your photo, which seems to be responding to the USCPSC.

  • Well, people often just say cord. But I upvoted pull cords here.
    – Lambie
    Commented Jun 11 at 15:57
  • Why the emphasis on strap fasteners? Those aren't the things you pull to make the blinds go up and down. Quite the opposite - they're used to make the shade not move by fastening the still-rolled-up part at a particular height. Commented Jun 11 at 15:59
  • @NuclearHoagie: According to the description the "strap fasteners make rolling the shade to any desired height easy".
    – TimR
    Commented Jun 11 at 16:01
  • @TimR They make the shade stop at a particular height. They don't make the shade move at all. Commented Jun 11 at 16:02
  • @NuclearHoagie I can't find the picture associated with that text. Maybe it is a special kind of strap fastener that does some "rolling" and is not merely one that secures the blind at a particular height. The blind has "cordless operation". But maybe that's like saying of "flip flops" that they have "stringless operation". It's Wayfair, after all.
    – TimR
    Commented Jun 11 at 16:05

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .