I was studying, and I heard noises coming from the other room. I went there, and found that they were just happy, laughing, joking and congratulating as somebody had been engaged.

Which word can I use to describe what was happening in other room?

  • 6
    Welcome to ELL. Can you be more specific? In your title you ask for a word for the group, as if you want either a collective noun or an adjective like noisy. But in the body of your question you ask for a word which describes what was happening, which might be an adjective or a noun or a verb. Could you edit your question to give us a sample sentence, with a ____ where the word you want would go? Commented Mar 8, 2013 at 14:04

7 Answers 7


I don't know a single word that would replace "a group of noisy people". There's a whole bunch of adjectives that could describe that group of people - amongst synonyms of noisy (bolding ones that would match the situations best),:

chattering, disorderly, ear-popping, ear-splitting, loudmouth, rackety, raising Cain, raising the roof, rambunctious, riotous, rowdy, screaming, tumultous/tumultuous, turned up, uproarious

and quite a few nouns to describe the situation - synonyms of ruckus

disturbance, big scene, bother, brawl, commotion, disorder, disruption, fray, fuss, hubbub, racket, stir, turmoil, upheaval, uproar

  • 1
    Although it is two words, a "cacophonous gaggle" comes to mind. :)
    – BobRodes
    Commented Jul 26, 2014 at 22:41
  • 1
    "Gaggle" was the first word than sprang into my mind
    – Mawg
    Commented Dec 5, 2016 at 10:34

I think loud crowd can be a good term for it or a loud room or loud people. Surely as StoneyB said your question doesn't make it clear what you mean of "to describe what happening in other room"

  • 2
    I think you mean "surely", not "surly". ("Surly" is an adjective meaning "ill-tempered". If appropriate, it would be followed directly by the word it modifies, not separated from it by "as", and the modified word would not ordinarily be a name, but a more generic word, as a "surly individual".) But I do like the sound of "loud crowd". Commented Mar 8, 2013 at 21:19
  • 1
    Thanks! Surely it was surely! I edited it. A mistake in typing. Commented Mar 9, 2013 at 6:39
  • I would avoid "loud crowd" just because of the rhyming, personally.
    – Era
    Commented Jan 18, 2016 at 18:45

They were a raucous group!

Not exactly a commonly used word these days, but I think most english speakers would still know what it means as it still gets used in writing fairly often.

You can have raucous crowds, a raucous party, raucous laughter, etc.



Gaggle - Group of noisy people

  • Welcoem aboard. I upvoted, since that it the first word that sprang to my mind, but it is usual to include a dictionary definition reference (and you might also mention geese ;-)
    – Mawg
    Commented Dec 5, 2016 at 10:35

You have a few options to describe a noisy group of people, depending on the context of your thought. You might choose different words depending on whether or not they bother you, for instance.

  1. If you do not find them annoying. these tend to have a positive connotation:

    • party
    • celebration
    • soiree
    • fete
    • e.g. I would definitely rather be at that soiree than studying; how jovial!
  2. If you do find them annoying, these have a negative connotation:

    • cacophony
    • circus
    • sideshow
    • horde
    • clamor
    • mob
    • gaggle
    • racket
    • e.g. May that spiteful, wretched horde be smote by mighty Thor so that I might read in peace...

As mentioned in previous answers, mob, gaggle, cacophony could be used,

if you are looking in context of people who gossip loudly, "Klatsch" is a germanic word, which could be used.

  • 1
    Interesting. Do you have any references for klatsch being related to gossip? I suspect most people, British at least, would simply associate "Klatch" with Discworld.
    – Chenmunka
    Commented Dec 6, 2016 at 14:17
  • 1
    The word means gossip in german.
    – Giridhur
    Commented Dec 7, 2016 at 8:46
  • en.wiktionary.org/wiki/klatch is what I used to confirm my answer.
    – Giridhur
    Commented Dec 7, 2016 at 8:47
  • @Giridhur a word may exist in a dictionary but it does not mean that it is in common usage amongst ordinary people.
    – Sarriesfan
    Commented Feb 6, 2017 at 0:58

Boisterous is the perfect word. It means loud, rowdy, energetic people. One definition found at Wordnik is:

boisterous (adj.) Turbulent; rough and noisy; clamorous: applied to persons or their actions: as, a boisterous man; boisterous merriment; a boisterous game.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .