What is the name of the dot over "i"and "j"? I know it has a name but I can't remember what that name is.


1 Answer 1


Rather charmingly, it is called a "tittle". The only usage of this word I can think of is in the phrase "jot or tittle", meaning "a very small amount of something."

  • 2
    While that's true, it's very specialist vocabulary. Most people would just call it a 'dot'.
    – A E
    Oct 24, 2014 at 16:51
  • @A.E: While that's true, it's not really necessaary to point it out again, since OP already used the word "dot" while asking for the specific name. Dave - because it's actually the ninth letter of the Greek alphabet, transliterated as ‘i, I almost made a fool of myself by suggesting iota. Your reference to "jot or tittle" jogged my memory just in time! I briefly thought title-tattle (small talk) might be another usage, but apparently it's etymologically unrelated. Oct 24, 2014 at 17:00
  • 1
    And just for fun... english-for-students.com/Dot-1.html Oct 24, 2014 at 18:00

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .