I have searched in oxford dictionary online and I didn't find Paginator word there, I only found Pagination word and I can find Googling there.

So my questions are:

  1. What should we call a something* that manage pagination?
  2. Is it possible to use it in formal letter?

(*) Let say a script file that manage or generate pagination for a website.

1 Answer 1


English is a very flexible language, particularly with respect to technical language of this type. If you were discussing a utility for pagination you would generally call it a "pagination utility" or script, but if it is a phrase that is going to come up often, using the word "paginator" would be understood by any audience who understands what pagination is.

I can find it being used in some instances to mean exactly what you suggest, an automated system for paginating. Most are using it as part of a name in a programming environment (ex: paginatorFunction) but here is an instance of it being used in exactly the sense that you wish to use it.

  • doctrine use Paginator too to call their paginator class and Phpstorm considere Paginator as typo. I just curious because I can find Googling in oxford dictionaries but I can't find Paginator there. so is it possible to use this word in formal letter?
    – mockie
    Oct 31, 2014 at 19:43
  • 1
    If I were simply talking or sending emails to a technical person, I might use paginator, but in a formal setting, pagination utility or pagination script would be safer. Oct 31, 2014 at 20:03

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .