When we go into a sushi restaurant, there is (1) one who takes reservations - when the restaurant is not quite a big one, this one will be (2) the manager or its proprietor. What do you call this persons, (1) and (2), respectively in English? (For (2), some places call them just 'manager,' and some places call them according to their ranks, gwa-jang (section chief), bu-jang (department head) in my country.)

  • 1
    Are you talking about sushi restaurants in particular, or restaurants in general? What if, say, a spaghetti restaurant had someone taking reservations? – J.R. Nov 6 '14 at 15:49
  • What if, say, a cinema, or a car bodyshop had someone taking reservations? The only likelihood I can see of there being a term specific to sushi restaurants is if some Anglophones adopt a foreign word in the first place. We did it for sushi itself, so that's at least a possibility. – FumbleFingers Reinstate Monica Nov 6 '14 at 16:27
  • Do you mean taking reservations as in seating people (which may include a wait for a table), waiting at table, or reserving restaurant space for future events? – user6951 Nov 6 '14 at 16:57

There isn't any specific English nomenclature for employees at a sushi restaurant. I have not been to any sushi restaurants that refer to their employees by the Japanese name of their position, but I'm sure they exist in the country somewhere.

Colloquially, managers are simply called that -- managers. There is a difference, however, between "the manager" and the actual owner of a restaurant. Managers are in charge of the restaurant while the owner is not in the office.

To answer your main question, I think Jason S described it adequately -- the person that takes reservations and seats guests is called the host or hostess, depending on gender. Those who serve food to the guests once they are seated can be called waiter/waitress, server, or steward/stewardess.

| improve this answer | |
  • I've not heard steward/stewardess applied to a restaurant. Have you? If you mean on an airplane, then those terms have been replaced by flight attendant. – user6951 Nov 6 '14 at 21:31
  • I believe I have, it's fairly uncommon though, I'll give you that. – Crazy Eyes Nov 6 '14 at 21:40

Most likely that would be the host or hostess — at least, this is what you would call the person at a restaurant who greets you and brings you to a table. (as opposed to the waiter or waitress or gender-neutral server who takes care of you once you're seated)

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    Yes, or mai·tre d' for a fancy restaurant. – user6951 Nov 6 '14 at 21:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.