Could somebody tell me please that what is the word that you use for a person who lost most of his hair?(he is not bald yet)

  • 1
    The problem is called "hair loss", and a commonly used term for "hair restoration surgery" is "hair transplant". See also: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_loss. – Damkerng T. Nov 15 '14 at 21:05
  • @ Damkerng T. Yes.I forgot its name (hair transplant surgery) Thanks – Khashayar Nov 15 '14 at 21:11

That person is said to be balding or going bald.


They are balding. Here is the link to balding in Cambridge Dictionaries online.

  • 1
    @Khashayar Do you want to bring them up with somebody who is bald/balding? – Araucaria - Not here any more. Nov 15 '14 at 20:04
  • 1
    @Khashayar Btw, hairy doesn't mean with hair on your head. It usually refers to hair on a body, or on an object. – Araucaria - Not here any more. Nov 15 '14 at 20:06
  • 1
    @Khashayar talk to him about his hair problems? If so, I would say: don't do it! Unless he brings it up himself. If he does, then that's ok. Unless your bald too. If your bald too then then it doesn't matter :) – Araucaria - Not here any more. Nov 15 '14 at 20:06
  • 1
    I am not very close to him and by the way, What is wrong with these subjects? – Khashayar Nov 15 '14 at 20:08
  • 1
    Some people are very sensitive about the way they look, especially if they are not happy about it. In Britain, we don't usually talk about how heavy, overweight, bald or spotty somebody is. If you don't know them, it might be considered a bit rude, as if you're criticizing them .. – Araucaria - Not here any more. Nov 15 '14 at 20:11

Balding, as the others say.

Yet there is the subtle shading of 'receding' ie, the hair is disappearing from the front, but there's some still at the back.

Which would lead to variations on how people try to hide that fact...

Comb-over - taking long hair from one side & combing it over the 'shiny bits', which nearly works unless it's windy [Google 'Bobby Charlton']
Known, as I understand it, in Japanese as a 'bar-code', from the similarity to the identifying marks on the side of any grocery product you scan through a till in the supermarket.

The alternative 'cure' - whilst not really fixing it - is to shave it all off.... Known as a 'Jean-Luc Picard' or just 'Picard', after the Captain of the USS Enterprise, Star Trek, the next generation.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.