I want to say to people to rank up or down my work. What words should I use?


The verb you are looking for is probably

rate : (transitive) To evaluate or estimate the value of. "They rate his talents highly."

So, for example, you might ask someone:

Please rate my work on a scale of 1 to 10.

  • Can I say "rate up" or "rate down"? – user80042 Mar 17 '13 at 13:07
  • 1
    I would not say "rate up" or "rate down". I might, however, decide to use a ranking system in which rank is determined based on number of votes received. And then you could say, "please vote up or vote down". – Jim Mar 17 '13 at 18:45
  • So vote up/down is about rate? – user80042 Mar 18 '13 at 9:50
  • 1
    @user80042- vote up and vote down is about voting. You could choose to establish a rating scale with criteria and then use voting to determine a particular thing's position on that scale, i.e., its rating. Comparing that thing's position with the position of other similarly rated things would determine its ranking. Just note that you can use voting for other things that rating, and you rate things by other means than voting. – Jim Mar 18 '13 at 14:49

I think the words you were looking for are promote and demote.

Here are the definitions as per dictionary.com:

Promote and Demote

  • 1
    Welcome to ELL! I think this answer is great (I'm upvoting it), but it would be better to provide supporting definitions and/or examples that demonstrate usage of these words. – Tyler James Young May 8 '14 at 20:26

The word I would use is grade.

A person or thing can be up- or down- graded.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.