I'm writing an article and I have used the following sentence,

The switched-capacitor technology is used to replace the large resistors which can't be used in ICs because of their large occupation of area.

However, I feel that large occupation of area is wrong, because I googled it and their was nothing similar.

Any suggestions?


  • 3
    Space requirements | large footprint. – Tᴚoɯɐuo Nov 30 '14 at 19:57
  • 2
    You can also use "large form factor". – user3169 Nov 30 '14 at 23:57
  • 1
    I would use form factor if I expected readers to be engineers/technically-knowlegeable and if I wanted to write at a "higher" level of sophistication. Footprint would probably be easier for more people to comprehend. I guess, but don't know, that engineers might not always think of things on the surface of ICs as standing on them, so at a very specialized level, might prefer form factor? – Jim Reynolds Dec 1 '14 at 4:34

If your sole concern is the cumbersome phrase "large occupation of area," I think TRomano's suggestion of "large space requirements" is good.

I would consider tightening up the whole sentence though. Perhaps:

The smaller switched-capacitor technology replaces the large resistors, whose space requirements prevent their use in ICs.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.