How can we name the things which work with electricity like tv, kettle, hoover, iron, washing machine or ventilator at a home.

for example can we say :

home gadgets home equipments

  • 2
    Home appliances. Dec 23, 2014 at 21:29
  • gadgets implies smaller, more 'clever' & these days is being replaced by 'devices' for computer tablet/phone etc. For washer, fridge, cooker, there's also 'white goods' Dec 23, 2014 at 21:41
  • 'white goods' seems to be a BrE usage. At least it is not an everyday usage in AmE
    – user6951
    Dec 23, 2014 at 22:21

2 Answers 2


appliance is used for many things, but in everyday language, an electronic item is a different category.

For larger and more expensive items, such as refrigerator, washer, dryer,

home or household appliance

For coffee maker, toaster oven, toaster,

small appliance or kitchen appliance

But for television, stereo, etc,

consumer electronic (item)

There are many TV and Appliance stores, which shows the difference in category

  • 1
    +1, even though I'm very unlikely to refer to a TV or radio as an appliance. I don't know if that's a regional thing or not.
    – J.R.
    Dec 23, 2014 at 21:57
  • Stores sell appliances, people use 'stuff' ;) It really is a distinction used more in the retail trade, than as a consumer. Dec 23, 2014 at 22:03
  • Actually, I wouldn't either @J.R. and my original answer stated as such. So I'll edit again. Thanks.
    – user6951
    Dec 23, 2014 at 22:09

Every day we use several types of home appliance. If we introduce with room wise it would be better. Lets start with drawing room, in that we use small lighting decor,tv remote, tv, sound systems etc. Then go to the dining room there are lots of electronic appliance we can use. such as refrigerator, oven, toaster etc. Rest of the room we use washer,dryer, computer laptop, pressure cooker, blender machine, electronic hitter haire dryer, stereo and more. Those this we customize our own interest. Thanks

  • Welcome to English Language Learners! The author of the question isn't asking for a list of machines, just a general 'umbrella' term. I guess "home appliance" would work, but could you please edit your answer to make that stand out and remove the list? Please read our Help Center article How to Answer for tips on how to write a good answer.
    – Glorfindel
    Jun 16, 2020 at 5:52

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .