What is the name of the thing where objects are well connected and pass through different sections to finally help do one thing at the end in a creative way. Where an object moves along a specific path, hits another which has a new path which moves along and hits another etc? :)

  • 1
    Contraption might be suitable.
    – Joe Dark
    Dec 28, 2014 at 12:40
  • This might be one of the most famous ones (at least recently), made entirely from car parts.
    – J.R.
    Dec 29, 2014 at 11:15
  • 1
    Related question and answer
    – user6951
    Dec 29, 2014 at 19:45

3 Answers 3


A 'Rube Goldberg machine'?

Here are some examples of what I think you might be talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFWHbRApS3c

(The name comes from the cartoonist Rube Goldberg, who would draw cartoons of fanciful and intricate inventions like these.)


You can coin your own.

Chain Reaction, Serial Chain Reactors, Chain Impulse Transmitters, Serial Momentons ..

or even

Domino Chain


A Rube Goldberg machine.

It is a machine that goes through complicated and unnecessary processes to complete a simple task.
Example: Task: to dump dog food in a bowl. Start: a phone vibrating when it receives a phone call, knocking down a set of dominos.

Wikipedia: A Rube Goldberg machine is a contraption, invention, device or apparatus that is deliberately over-engineered or overdone to perform a very simple task in a very complicated fashion, usually including a chain reaction. The expression is named after American cartoonist and inventor Rube Goldberg (1883–1970).

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .