I recently went on a trip to Peru, and met some pre-inca people. They braid their long hair into two ponytails, and weave balls of cotton to the end of the ponytail. What are those called? Bon-bons or something like that?pic


What are those called? Bon-bons or something like that?

I think you might be mixing up pompons and bonbons.

A bonbon is a piece of candy, often covered in chocolate.

A pompon is an ornamental woolen ball.

The word pompon in English can also be spelled pompom or pom-pom.

For what it's worth, I found these images on Google by search for pompons and bonbons:

enter image description here


You phonetic memory wasn't far off: The word you are looking for is probably "pom-pom" (not bon-bon).

But I agree with Dmandy, you could also call them "tassels".


Bon-Bons are two buns on the either side of the head

These look more like tassels

  • Tassel suggests that the strings hang down from a knotted ball at the top, not tied into a ball at the bottom. Take a look at these images of tassels.
    – Ben Kovitz
    Jan 2 '15 at 2:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.