In a software development environment or page layouting, you can place elements outside the control bounds or outside the page. The coordinates can e.g. have negative values.

We're now introducing a button that moves items outside the visible bounds back to inside. I suggested "Bring all controls into view" and "Adjust clipped controls".

Is there a shorter, e.g. single word that describes the same thing?

  • Do you move the elements or the bounds? Jan 19, 2015 at 12:26
  • Elements will be moved. Jan 19, 2015 at 12:35
  • Are programmers or non-technical users your audience? "clipped controls" is jargon that perhaps few end users would understand. Bring all controls into view is better, though not every end user would understand the word "controls" either. Is this utility you're offering for developers during development?
    – TimR
    Jan 19, 2015 at 13:00
  • @TRomano: at the moment this is an advanced feature which will probably be used by our service partners only. They are developers. The application is available to end users, so it would be better if it's also understandable by them. End users hopefully never manage to move items to negative coordinates - that's only done by developers tweaking the settings file manually. Jan 19, 2015 at 14:04
  • Does it handle dual-screen setups, when the screens are of different dimensions?
    – TimR
    Jan 19, 2015 at 14:06

2 Answers 2


If you are bringing items that are outside a bounded region into that region, then the items are being constrained.

This term is used more widely than for out-of-bound objects on a printed page but is applicable.

The bounds of the page are the constraints and the act of bringing the objects back into view is to constrain them.


Given the need to inform non-technical users (not only programmers) what will happen when they invoke the feature, I'd suggest:

Show hidden controls (may look jumbled)

If you want to avoid alarm, perhaps "invisible" instead of "hidden".

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .