I have a pin(?) that I have to attach to my shirt every day before going to school. The pin has the school's symbol on it. What is this type of pin called? Does it have a specific name?


In America we would call it a "school pin". I don't know of any schools that have such pins, but at least decades ago school sports teams used to have such pins, and they were called "varsity pins".

The symbol itself might be called a "school logo", but you wouldn't call the pin as a whole that.

| improve this answer | |
  • What does you wouldn't call the pin as a whole that mean? – Santi Santichaivekin Jan 22 '15 at 4:07
  • I meant, the symbol by itself might be called a logo. But the whole pin, that is, the symbol, the metal that the symbol is painted on or made from, and the actual pin (the pointy thing itself), that would not be called a "logo". It would be called a "pin". – Jay Jan 22 '15 at 6:41

In English this would be called a School Badge. American English refers to pins but this would not be correct in the UK

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.