Is there a word for things that include w.c. pan, washbowl, bath tub, shower cabin etc?


4 Answers 4


You can call "fixtures", but it is a bit ambiguous because it includes every piece of furniture or equipment fixed in a house, which you cannot take with you when you move to another house. I think it's better and common to say in two words "sanitary fittings".


For American English:

These are usually called "fixtures." Those specific to handling water are "plumbing fixtures." Those specific to the bathroom are "bathroom fixtures." Those specific to handling bodily wastes (toilets and urinals) are known as "sanitary fixtures."

(Most people who aren't architects or contractors don't use these terms very much. Usually people call the fixtures by their individual names: "toilet," "tub," "kitchen (or bathroom) sink." Sometimes people will talk more generally about "the plumbing," which includes the plumbing pipes, valves, & etc. as well as the plumbing fixtures.)

In the US, the toilet is usually located in the bathroom, along with the bathroom sink, and the bathtub or shower stall. An American asking to "use the bathroom" almost invariably wants to use the toilet.

The only plumbing fixture commonly found in the kitchen is the kitchen sink. Other kitchen fixtures usually include the refrigerator, which is an electrical fixture; and the stove (sometimes called the "range"), which may be an electrical or a (natural) gas fixture.

Other household fixtures include electrical lighting fixtures and gas or electric heaters.

In AmE:

w.c. pan = toilet bowl (almost always joined to the toilet tank and just called the "toilet")

washbowl = sink

bath tub = bathtub

shower cabin = shower stall or just "shower"

(bidet = bidet, but they are so rare here that they may be most frequently referred to by: "What the heck is that thing?")

  • Here in the UK most houses will have a toilet in the bathroom but it is common for there also to be a seperate downstairs toilet and toilets in commercial buildings will usually be just toilets, not bathrooms. Apr 5, 2018 at 14:58
  • Do you americans still call it a bathroom if it doesn't contain a bath? Apr 5, 2018 at 14:58
  • @PeterGreen: (late reply) In American English a bathroom without a bathtub or shower is still called a bathroom, at least when speaking of houses. More specifically in real-estate they are known as "half-baths" to distinguish from a full bathroom with a tub or shower. So a "two-and-a-half bath" house would have 3 rooms, all with toilets, but only 2 with bathtubs or showers. It does seem that the word bathroom is used less frequently in non-residential contexts, with "restroom" often preferred, but there is probably significant variation among individuals and regions. Dec 10, 2018 at 16:50

These are called "bathroom fixtures" (in America).

Of course, in America we don't have a w.c.—we have bathrooms, which include a fixture called the "toilet".

And we have never heard of these "sanitary fittings" mentioned in other answer. So it would be good to clarify what country you want terminology for.

  • I am asking for the things which are not only in bathroom, but also in the toilet, kitchen etc.
    – Anixx
    Jan 22, 2015 at 5:54
  • How do u call the toilet room then?
    – Anixx
    Jan 22, 2015 at 6:43
  • Never mind my answer and comment. I see now that you want British terms. Jan 22, 2015 at 6:43
  • I want English terms, I did not know this differs by dialect. I would like to know how do u call in in the US. Do you call a washbowl in the kitchen also "bathroom fixture"? What do you call the pan if it is not in the bathroom?
    – Anixx
    Jan 22, 2015 at 6:44
  • Absolutely varies by country. For instance, I have heard of a wc, (although I mistook it for a fixture? ) but most Americans wouldn't have a clue if you asked where is the wc? Jan 22, 2015 at 6:47

In my country if you say you want to use the bathroom, they will think that you want to take a bath. WC is used mainly by Architects. The common word is toilet if you mean toilet and bathroom if you want to wash or take a bath or shower.

  • 3
    Which country is this? Please edit your answer to clarify. May 29, 2018 at 20:54

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .