I'm wondering if it is Sellotape or Cellotape, or anything else(Sello tape or cello tape). I'm talking about the general name of that roll of sticking tape.

  • The usual word is sellotape or scotch tape in AE. – Khan Jan 26 '15 at 7:14
  • "Scotch" is a company in the U.S., but in casual situations, people refer to any brand as "scotch tape." In formal writing, I would use "clear tape." – Adam Jan 26 '15 at 7:30
  • I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it is a question about trade marks, not the English language. – Chenmunka Jan 26 '15 at 8:42
  • @Adam: "Scotch" is a brand, not a company. The company is 3M. – ruakh Jan 26 '15 at 17:26

The brand name is Sellotape. It is commonly written sellotape in places where the name has become genericized (i.e., is no longer an exclusive trademark).

Note that not all parts of the English-speaking world use or understand this word; here in the U.S., we say scotch tape (which also originated as a brand name). In fact, I had never heard "sellotape" until a few years ago, when an Indian coworker used it, and I had to ask her what she meant by it. (That's also when I realized that the Spello-tape brand in the Harry Potter series of novels is a pun.)

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.