I am reading a book and I stumbled apon the expression "Queen's English".

My question is:

What does it mean.

Thanks a ton in advance

  • 2
    Please provide the source or the line or para from where you have read it.
    – MihirUj
    Commented Jan 28, 2015 at 18:45
  • OneLook is a great place to start looking. Feel free to ask a follow-up question here if you are still confused, but be sure to include your research in your question.
    – J.R.
    Commented Jan 28, 2015 at 20:15

1 Answer 1


Basically, it's proper (upper-class) British English, as would be spoken by the Queen (of England).

Oxford Dictionaries says:

Standard English language as written and spoken by educated people in Britain.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .