I realise the title doesn't make much sense, it's a hard one to ask, so I will describe the situation...

The other day my ex's mother was sending me texts and said "it's always Dannies world". Of course when referring to a person, you don't add ies onto the name, it would be Danny's.

I wanted to reply explaining that isn't how it's done whilst feeling smug, but couldn't think of the term used for that. I know it's not plural, so I couldn't say "the plural of Danny isn't Dannies".

What could I have said?

1 Answer 1


It's called possessive 's, sometimes genitive 's, sometimes the Saxon genitive, sometimes the genitive case ending.

  • 1
    thank you very much, so would the sentence be " the possessive of Danny isn't Dannies"? Jan 29, 2015 at 11:36
  • @dannyjohnson - You're welcome! Yes, I guess so! Jan 29, 2015 at 11:37
  • 1
    @dannyjohnson Of course, you will sound smug if you mention it. But perhaps that doesn't matter! Jan 29, 2015 at 12:27
  • 1
    @Araucaria i would! the time has passed now anyway, just wanted to know as it was bugging me. Jan 30, 2015 at 11:46

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .