The context I want to use it in is as follows:

There were no partitions separating one division from another either. The only things interrupting the perspective in places, were the columns supporting the ceiling.

I'm trying to say that 'the office was wide and there were only the columns supporting the ceiling that cut the perspective in places.'

  • 1
    Perspective is rarely used in this sense; it usually designates either a literal or figurative viewpoint or the technical art of constructing a sketch or painting as seen from a particular viewpoint. I've edited your title to reflect what you actually ask. – StoneyB on hiatus Apr 4 '13 at 11:38

I would likely use the phrase interrupting the view.

That seems to be a rather common way to express this:

Washington flanked the entry gates with mounds and ha-ha walls, hidden harriers that keep cattle from the bowling green without interrupting the view from the house. (Gardens of America: Three Centuries of Design, by D.K. McGuire)

Already, pallets of glazed brick stacked higher than a man's head stood at random, interrupting the view across the open floor. (Empire State, E.A. Pollitz)

The Culzean viaduct was to have had towers along its length but their superstructures, interrupting the view to the castle, were omitted. (Masterpieces of Architectural Drawing, H. Powell & D. Leatherbarrow)

With that backdrop, I'd say:

There were no partitions separating one division from another; the only things interrupting the view were the columns supporting the ceiling.

  • You can also say "blocking the view". – user485 Apr 4 '13 at 18:53

One of the three meanings given from the OALD for interrupt is, "to stop a line, surface, view, etc. from being even or continuous." (In Italian we have a similar expression which involves interrompere, the Italian translation for interrupt.)

I would avoid writing in places, since that seems implicit, to me; if the view would be completely interrupted, I would use a different word, such as obscured, or hidden.


As an English native speaker, I would probably say Getting in the way of the view, or obscuring the view.

Alternatively, I might refer to the offending items as eyesores.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.