I am starting to draft the writing of my internship report which I do in English. On first page, I must mention two names: the one of the professor who must have an eye on me during the intership ("promoteur" in French) and the one of the person who is responsible of me inside the company ("maitre de stage" in French).

How would you express those ideas?

Equivalent to "Promoteur": sponsor, proponent, or perhaps promoter ?

Equivalent to "Maître de stage": internship supervisor, adviser, articling supervisor, tutor ?

  • Don't take my word for it (I know little about internships), but I suspect "promoteur" equates to sponsor, and your definition of "Maître de stage" looks a lot like what I'd probably call your mentor (or maybe tutor or supervisor). – FumbleFingers Reinstate Monica Feb 27 '15 at 16:41
  • I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because questions about translation are specifically mentioned as off-topic in the help centre vide – user6951 Feb 27 '15 at 17:50
  • This is not simply or even mainly a translation question. It could have just as easily have been asked without mentioning the French terms. – Jim Reynolds Feb 27 '15 at 18:15
  • I agree with @JimReynolds. The OP could have said: What's a word for someone who has an eye on me during the internship? Or such. – M.A.R. Feb 27 '15 at 18:24
  • So a question asking How would you translate those terms ? "Promoteur": sponsor, proponent, or perhaps promoter ? "Maître de stage": internship supervisor, adviser, articling supervisor, tutor ? is not a question about translation. Pardon me, but bull shit. – user6951 Feb 27 '15 at 18:29

In the US, professor (or instructor) or advisor are probably most common for promoteur. Sponsor also sounds appropriate, and might be used as well.

An internship is usually a special kind of course. So it has an instructor or professor.

An example from Univ of CA, San Diego uses faculty supervisor:

The Academic Internship Program is a Special Studies Course, AIP 197. As such, a faculty advisor is required for all students participating in an AIP internship. Faculty Advisors help students create a structure to investigate a particular research question related to the internship, and guide students in developing a paper or project to address their research interest.

In my experience supervisor is used for Maître de stage. And that's true for the example program I referenced above:

AIP is an academic program, so participating organizations must adhere to the policies and procedures outlined in AIP's Supervisor Guidelines.

I worked as a university administrator for a couple of years, so I base this on some professional experience. I also know that different countries, schools, and companies/employers will use different terms.

|improve this answer|||||
  • I asked the question to a friend who just did an internship in Boston. He used the terms compagny's supervisor and academic supervisor there. As you said it may vary from a school to another and from a compagny to another. Thanks for your answer. – Williglimes Feb 28 '15 at 11:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.