If cashier tells you that:

I don't have change. Could you "pay exact amount of money"?

How to say "to pay exact amount of money" in good English?

5 Answers 5


The most common phrase is "exact change", so you could say Exact change, please. While "change" is usually applied to coins rather than bills when talking about currency, it is acceptable when talking about the return of excess given during a purchase, "Here's your change."

And it is not always applied politely. This news story tells of a Canadian woman who was fined $219 for not having exact change when riding a bus.


There are lots of ways to say this. One would be:

Please, can you pay the exact amount? I don't have any change.

Related: Sometimes, if low on change, a cashier might ask:

Can you pay in small bills?

I've even seen signs that say SMALL BILLS APPRECIATED to indicate a cash box is running low on change.


You might say, "Could you please pay the exact amount sir/ma'am, we're running low on change".


I would just add "the"

I don't have change. Could you pay the exact amount of money?


Or you could say, "Would you care to use some change to pay the bill. We are currently out of small change".

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .