How do you call the gesture where you point at your head and make a circle or a few with your extended finger - when you want to imply someone, or some idea is "nutters" - something so ridiculous it's insane?

  • I'm afraid, there's no single word. You'll have to form a sentence for that. – Maulik V Mar 12 '15 at 4:44
  • @MaulikV: "Phrase request", I believe there is some "canonical" way of describing it. – SF. Mar 12 '15 at 5:06
  • 1
    Caveat: Gestures are by no means universally understood. This gesture may mean "you are crazy", but it may also mean "you are clever". A lot depends on cultural context. – Stephie Mar 12 '15 at 5:24
  • @Stephie: Probably so, but - at least in my culture - knocking your head with your finger there means "clever". A twirl, or twisting your finger ("tightening a loose screw") means insane. – SF. Mar 12 '15 at 6:04
  • @SF.: which proves my point: Knock on your forehead or temple in Germany and you may be sued for insult. Do this towards a police officer and find yourself in court. Expect to pay 750€. – Stephie Mar 12 '15 at 8:20

According to Wikipedia, this gesture is called:

Cuckoo sign, touched or screw loose. In North America, making a circling motion of the index finger at the ear or side of the head signifies that the person "has a screw loose," i.e. is speaking nonsense or is crazy.

I will repeat my warning that gestures are rooted in their cultural context and may mean completely different things in other cultures.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.