Let's say I have a room in my house with no windows, no flow of air in or out, isolated from the rest of the house, which makes it impossible to sit there.

How do I describe it? Can I uses the following sentence?

Because of no ventilation it(the room) is always very congested, so it is impossible for anyone to live there.

Is the use of congested correct in this context, or should I use some other word?

  • You could say the air stagnates – mowwwalker Apr 13 '13 at 16:25
  • What do you think about using "missing ventilation" instead of "no ventilation"? – Stephen Apr 13 '13 at 18:10
  • @Stephen I dont see any difference between the two? – Thor Apr 13 '13 at 18:14
  • "no ventilation" just means that there is no ventilation without saying whether this is good or bad. ("No fire" burning down the house would be a good thing.) "Missing ventilation" has (to my ears) the connotation that a ventilation is wished for - you would not miss something bad, would you? – Stephen Apr 14 '13 at 14:42

Congested would imply that there is a lot of stuff in there which isn't necessarily true. Stuffy would be the word I'd use.



1: Stuffy; not ventilated - a dusty, airless basement
2: Without wind or breeze; still - a hot, airless night


The word used by architects & builders for this is "unventilated."

Because the room is unventilated, the air stagnates quickly and no fresh air can come in to replace it, so it is impossible for anyone to live there.


"Close" is also a word that describes a room without fresh air or "dank" for a damp basement. I would not use 'congested' - which usually means that there was heavy traffic on a road, or to describe your "stuffy" nose.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.