I'm in correspondence with website designer. The site has an area where background and text are of similar colors, so the text is not legible on the background.

The designer understood my phrase "text is not legible on the background", but I wonder if there is more specific and natural English way to say that something (not only text) is blending or mixing with background so it hardly can be seen or distinguished.

  • hard to read, barely readable, unreadable, practically invisible...
    – Kreiri
    Mar 23, 2015 at 10:38
  • In general, legible and a common synonym readable refer only to texts. So if you want a word that can have broader application, you have to go to something like distinguishable or one of its synonyms
    – user6951
    Mar 23, 2015 at 10:39
  • I'm talking rather about an antonym to 'distinguishable'. How would you say that colors of two objects are similar, so that when objects are overlaid they look as a whole?
    – Vlad T.
    Mar 23, 2015 at 10:46
  • The font color is too low-contrast, rendering the text unreadable. Mar 23, 2015 at 12:10
  • 1
    Sometimes it's better to use more words than to look for a more precise single word synonym.
    – user230
    May 23, 2015 at 20:19

2 Answers 2


Since, it's not just for the text on the background, I'd probably say...

Maintain the contrast...

You may add whatever you want to say after those three dots. Maybe, between the background and elements, text, objects, content or the like.


After some time has passed I would use 'blur' for this case. I think it is exactly what I wanted to say, but I would also agree that this choice is pretty subjective.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .