We have this system where we buy what we see fit and later fill out a form requesting that our employer pay back the expenses. I'm pretty sure there's a special term for it in English.

I'd also like to know if there are different names for such a form: a formal and official one as well as a colloquial, commonly used one.

Moreover, I'd like to know if those terms (both categories) are the same on both sides of the Sargasso Sea.


An "expense claim". I've seen it used widely in the UK and USA.

  • 1
    In the US, the "claim" is usually conveyed via an expense report. Mar 25 '15 at 6:48
  • "expense report" is used, but in my company (in the US office) "expense report" is the thing finance people run to see how many "expense claims" have been submitted and need review and approval. But I'm just a single data point; other US companies may do as you suggest. It wouldn't be the first time the US got English wrong ;-)
    – tkp
    Mar 25 '15 at 13:41
  • Both claim form and reimbursement form are also widely used. You might also see reimbursement request.
    – J.R.
    Mar 26 '15 at 9:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.