I am now writing a report which requires me to use formal, academic English...here's the question. I want to describe a task as more difficult, or more challenging than other ones. Can I use the word "tricky"?

If not, is there any other word other than "difficult" and "challenging"? My first report in English, :) Thanks

1 Answer 1


Tricky is not a formal word.

Some people will say that it is informal. Some people will say that it is ok to use it in informal and formal writing.

Difficult and challenging are more formal than is tricky.

  • 3
    @XZL - complicated is a good choice; complex might have been another word to consider.
    – J.R.
    Apr 3, 2015 at 8:27

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .