I am writing an email to cancel the posting of my application. But I am quite confused as to whether it is

a. I wish to cancel posting of my application to the company mentioned on my form


b. I wish to cancel sending of my application to the company mentioned on my form

Which one is right?

2 Answers 2


I would say:

"I wish to withdraw my application to the company mentioned on my form".

If I was being more formal I'd name the company instead of alluding to it:

"I wish to withdraw my application to Xerox."

You might also add: "Please refer to details in my form."

"Withdraw" is not used in all cases, it indicates pulling back something you have presented forward, often formal documents, verbal offers. "I'm withdrawing my offer to buy your house." "Withdraw" can also be more literal as in moving yourself out of a situation. To be a "withdrawn" person is to be shy and rarely reach out to others.

Similar words: In a technical field you might "roll back" a computer transaction to a previous state, or in finance you would "cancel" a payment.


At one time to post was fairly common as a synonym for to mail. With the rise of the internet, however, where post usually means 'to publish, to exhibit to general view', this use has become ambiguous. I would avoid it.

This is not to say, however, that send is your best choice. It appears that you are communicating with an employment service of some sort which holds your information and sends it by some medium to prospective employers. In that case send is perfectly OK, or forward. But GoogleNgrams shows that by far the most usual verb with application is submit:

enter image description here

A final note: whatever verb you end up using, the of my phrase is superfluous and stiff. I wish to cancel sending my application is quite sufficient. Of my is needed only if you employ a 'mere' noun, which cannot take an object as a gerund can: I wish to cancel submission of my application.

  • If you don't mind my asking, what do you mean with frank noun?
    – apaderno
    Commented Apr 15, 2013 at 11:49
  • @Kiamlaluno Sorry - old LitCrit usage. I mean a noun which although derived from the verb cannot act in a verbal capacity. The gerund submitting may take an object, like the verb from which it is derived; the noun submission cannot. Commented Apr 15, 2013 at 12:23

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .