I know I can say that an apartment is furnished or not, but can I use the word furnished with a kitchen?

I am trying to describe a kitchen that is equipped with the necessary tools for cooking and refrigeration.


Yes, you can. "Furnished" means "to supply (a house, room, etc.) with necessary furniture, carpets, appliances, etc." and a kitchen is a room, so it would fit.


While furnish is usually used to mean "provide with furniture," it can also refer to other needed items. When I say:

I fully furnished my brand new apartment over the weekend

Few people would suspect that I mean that I only supplied a brand new apartment with furniture, without other appliances.

However, when talking about specific rooms that have a special designation, then "furnished a kitchen" or "furnished a bathroom" can sound quite odd, though not technically incorrect.

In the case of a kitchen I'd say:

I equipped the kitchen / I got the kitchen equipped


I bought all the necessary appliances for our kitchen

  • You should add a mention to the fact that kitchen utilities like the refrigerator, the oven, etc. are usually referred to as appliances. A "furnished" apartment will almost certainly come with the most common appliances, such as the refrigerator and the oven, but furnished apartments may not come with less important appliances, like a microwave or a toaster. For this reason, housing listings will often list appliances separately, even if the advertisement states the property is "fully furnished". – R Mac Apr 17 '15 at 18:26

Usually you would say:

Appliances included

In the context of apartment rentals, this would mean that the apartment has a stove and a refrigerator.

That said, such a short phrase doesn't necessarily eliminate all ambiguity, as is discussed on this website.

Getting back to your question, one could also say

fully furnished kitchen

I would understand this to mean that the kitchen has all appliances, even a microwave.

  • I think stove sounds very "American" and possibly a bit dated. In the UK today we usually cook using cookers (in ovens and on on hobs if they're not both part of a single appliance, and/or we're being more specific about the kind of cooking). – FumbleFingers Apr 17 '15 at 16:32
  • 1
    @FumbleFingers - "stove" is still used in the US; "range" would be more of an outdated term. Good call, though, on pointing out the AmE/BrE usage difference. – J.R. Apr 17 '15 at 16:38
  • That's funny. Maybe usage varies within the UK in subtle ways I'm not aware of, but I'd be inclined to see stove as the more dated term here when contrasted with range (which these days usually means a really expensive lump of cast iron in some swanky "country kitchen", from the likes of Aga) – FumbleFingers Apr 17 '15 at 16:46
  • 1
    I think in American stores we see cooktops, ovens and ranges (free-standing oven-cooktop combinations) but once they are installed in the home the part with the burners is always the stove and the part with the door is always the oven. – Jim Apr 19 '15 at 3:50
  • Those doors on the Aga look tiny. How do you ever get a turkey in there? shutterstock.com/video/… – Jim Apr 19 '15 at 3:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.