In case of some plants you can take their cuttings to multiply them. The cuttings are put in the ground directly, so you can have multiple seedlings based on one plant. You can have dozens of plants which are used for this process.

Boxwood or jasmine can both be a good example of such plant.

The term which describes such a group of plants in my language is "matecznik", which is a variation of the word mother.

What's the correct term for such a group of plants? I'm looking for the name of the group of the plants that other plants were grown from.

Edit: I found some book titles that might be close to it:

Schoeneweiss D.F. 1969. Susceptibility of evergreen hosts to the juniper blight fungus, Phomopsis juniperovora, under epidemic conditions. J. Am. Soc. Hortic. Sci. 94(6): 609-611.

Remlein-Starosta D. 2004. Pestalotiopsis associated with Erica spp ornamental plants in nurseries near Poznań- increasing problem.

Is an evergreen host or nursery a correct term for it?

  • Are you talking about grafting, or something else?
    – J.R.
    Apr 25, 2015 at 21:09
  • Something else - the cuttings are put in the ground directly, so you can have multiple seedlings based on one plant. The group of the plants which are used for it is called a "motherbase" in my language.
    – emilos
    Apr 25, 2015 at 21:33
  • 1
    @DJ - I think the O.P. is referring to this. (Please, emilos, correct me if I'm wrong.)
    – J.R.
    Apr 25, 2015 at 21:38
  • 2
    Not that this question is off-topic (It's definitely a good question for this site), but you might be able to get a better answer on Gardening. Or maybe even on Biology. (although Gardening is probably a better bet)
    – DJMcMayhem
    Apr 25, 2015 at 22:09
  • 4
    I'm gonna guess "parent stock", but I'm not a gardener. Apr 25, 2015 at 22:25

2 Answers 2


You are referfing to the process of vegetative reproduction where

specialized multicellular organs formed by the parent become detached and generate new individuals

The process can occur naturally, or it can be done by humans e.g. in horticulture (than the process is also called vegetative propagation. The parent is also called parent plant. In natural vegetative reproduction (e.g. in strawberries) it can be also called main plant. The group of plants that originated from a parent plant and persist in nature in a certain area over a period of time is known as a clonal colony.

enter image description here

Ref: Dictionary of Botany, Wikipedia and TutorVista

P.S. It is definitely not evergreen host - evergreen are plants that don't shed their leaves in winter and host reffers to a plant infected with fungus - it suggests a host-parasite relationship. Nursery refers to a place where plants are being grown and sold. (Definitions adapted from LDOCE)


@Lucky's answer contains the formal terminology, vegetative propagation.

Informally this process is called cloning and the cuttings are referred to as clones. The plant the clones come from is called the parent. If male, it can be referred to as the father, if female, as the mother.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .