I am new in America and I see most of the people use schwa sounds with most of the characters as p,w, k,c and so on. I wanted to know what all characters have the schwa sound and when and how to use it?

  • 1
    Use of the term 'schwa' is not entirely consistent -- do you mean the unstressed /ə/, as in the first syllable of arrive, which is what most people mean by 'schwa', or the stressable vowel /ʌ/, as in but, which some people also call 'schwa'? – StoneyB on hiatus Apr 29 '15 at 19:36
  • @StoneyB i am not sure about it, but when i hear some of the american friends talking they say talk as thalk or prayer as Phrayer. thats what i am referring to. – chetank Apr 29 '15 at 19:40
  • 5
    Ah! - I think you are talking about "aspiration", the little puff of air which in English follows a /p/, /t/ or /k/ at the beginning of a syllable immediately before a vowel. If so, this answer may help you. – StoneyB on hiatus Apr 29 '15 at 19:43