I've always come across "flautist" as the correct word (to denote a person who plays the flute). However, flutist also seems to be an accepted form in some writings. Which one is the correct or rather more accepted form? Or is it different in different geographies?

  • I think it's similar to colour and color. May 12, 2015 at 8:00

1 Answer 1


Both are correct, but flutist is more common in American English, while flautist is more common in British English.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .