I know a bit of photography. If you decrease the number of shutter speed, the amount of light going into the lens increases and as a result of that, the lights become 'lines'.

How do I refer to such lights? I want to say -

I love ________ in this picture


If you want to have _____ lights, decrease the shutter speed of your camera.

Here is what I'm referring to.

lights in the night

One word that comes to my mind is 'shredded lights'. Kindly confirm or suggest something better.

  • 7
    These are termed light trails in the jargon of photography, I believe. You could try googling "long exposure light trails". In common parlance people might also refer to them as light streaks. – Dan Bron May 21 '15 at 11:03
  • 1
    You could try Google Images for "light trails". – Damkerng T. May 21 '15 at 11:03
  • That is the answer. Pls put it on. @DanBron – Maulik V May 21 '15 at 11:05
  • Oh yes...that's the word @DamkerngT. – Maulik V May 21 '15 at 11:06
  • 2
    So there are actually two kinds of 'light lines' in your example. There are light trails on cars and there is lens flare on streetlights. Only the lens flare could be described as being caused by the "amount of light". The light trails are not caused by that at all, they are a consequence of sources moving during the long exposure time. Just think of the Picasso 'drawing with light' pictures. – elc May 21 '15 at 18:17

Photographers call those lines 'light trails'. A quick Google search for "light trail" makes this quite apparent.

Here are the top two results:

  1. 5 Advanced Tips for Light Trail Photography
  2. How to Shoot Light Trails

Other possible terms include "light tracers" and "light streaks".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.