If I want to search in something like a container, a chest, or something like that, what is the best verb or word to say that ? Thanks !

  • If you are looking for something in there then the most common verb is to look: “I can’t find my gloves.”Did you look in that chest over there?’
    – Jim
    May 24, 2015 at 1:35
  • And for example if I want to say something like There is nothing to look in in this room, is this sentence right ?
    – tektiv
    May 24, 2015 at 1:37
  • Yes. That’s fine.
    – Jim
    May 24, 2015 at 1:40
  • If it will likely take a while for you to find what you're looking for in a container/drawers, I'd use the word "dig". Similiar to how it takes a long time to dig for gold/treasure/etc. "I will need to dig through my desk drawers to find that file."
    May 24, 2015 at 13:23
  • Also, you can just say "search the chest" without the "in". For example, "There are no containers in this room to search."
    – ColleenV
    May 24, 2015 at 14:50

1 Answer 1


A common verb for this is to Rummage.

Rummaging is the act of looking through the contents of a container full of stuff, trying to find something that you know should be in there somewhere. It implies a fairly unsystematic form of search.

  • This seems to be exactly what I needed, thank you !
    – tektiv
    Mar 13, 2016 at 11:25

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .