United Kingdom, Britain, England, Wales and Scotland I have seen it more than once written as "England and Wales" and I always thought Wales is part of England. I hope my question is not silly.

Before you say it is off topic or not related to learning English, I as a learner of English find all these words and I make no distinction between them. To me they are all the same.

  • 3
    You have a long comma-separated list and it's not clear which chunks are supposed to be compared. Also, what you're looking for seems to be a question on the proper terminology of political entities according to those regions; you'd probably do better to look up Terminology of the British Isles. – Nathan Tuggy Jun 1 '15 at 19:33
  • Thank you friend. I just wanted to know the difference as I thought they were the same. I realise the difference now. – NorthernStar Jun 1 '15 at 20:33
  • 2
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it's more about geography than it is about English. – James Jun 1 '15 at 20:39

map of Great Britain

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland = Great Britain + Northern Ireland

Great Britain = Wales + England + Scotland

  • Scotland = a country
  • Wales = a country

Northern Ireland = an island country

| improve this answer | |
  • So, UK or GB is a kind of union amongst a number of countries. Thank you very much friend. – NorthernStar Jun 1 '15 at 20:21
  • Please I would like to ask you more if you do not mind. Since they are a kingdom, they have one king or a queen, right even in this 21st century? The king rules his kingdom with a parliament like ancient times, Queen Elizabeth the first for example? Is it the same Great Britain as ancient times or it has gotten fewer lands than it used to be? I hope my questions are not stupid. You really helped me. Thank you. – NorthernStar Jun 1 '15 at 20:29
  • Yes, we have a queen. Queen Elizabeth the second. As the picture above shows, Great Britain is an island, and it's still the same Great Britain as it was in Roman times. Only the borders of the countries within the island have changed. The history of the United Kingdom is very interesting and worth reading about, but this comment box is too small to explain much more. – ssav Jun 2 '15 at 8:57
  • Yes, it is very interesting and worth reading indeed. Thank you, friend. – NorthernStar Jun 10 '15 at 16:46
  • You will often see 'England and Wales' written together as they are considered the same legal jurisdiction within the U.K., sharing the same court system. – Sarriesfan Oct 16 '16 at 15:59

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.