What phrase would you use to express that you relax at home after work and don't do any special activity ?

If what I want to say is that the only thing I do after work is resting, I think I could use one of these

I take a break at home after work. I get some rest at home after work.

However, I am not sure what expression I can use to mean that

I don't do anything special at home after work but I just chill out at home

chill out at home

feels the closest to what I mean to say but I am wondering if there is any other way of saying this, possibly a little bit more formal.

  • Perhaps: When I get home from work, I just like to sit down and relax for a while. This doesn't feel too lazy or out of the ordinary. Informal, I would say : After work, I'm gonna chill for a bit. That uses slang though so be careful :) Commented Jun 10, 2015 at 0:24
  • Another slang phrase is "kick back". Commented Jun 10, 2015 at 9:29

1 Answer 1


You could use the following phrases:

  • ...unwind at home.

  • ...take it easy at home.

  • ...loosen up (although not very commonly used) at home.

  • ...take a break.

There are many words for relaxing in English, although you have to be careful in formal language because many of them are in the "slang" region.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .