If we suppose one reference (anchor, fixed point), we have the following sides:

  • following
  • preceding

Now if we suppose two references (points), what is called the part between them which is homogeneous with the words above?

Is it just "between"?

some examples, however my purpose is general


D and E are following items of C, A and B are preceding items of C.

B, C are .... items of A and D

Another example:

  • please select following items of C
  • please select preceding items of C
  • please select ..... of B and D
  • Can you describe more about what "anchor" is? "Between" is probably OK in general. – user3169 Jun 17 '15 at 20:21
  • anchor is a reference, let me change it to reference – Ahmad Jun 17 '15 at 20:25
  • Like on a graph? – user3169 Jun 17 '15 at 20:27
  • @user3169 No in general, you say following items, preceding items, do you say between items? or middle items? – Ahmad Jun 17 '15 at 20:28
  • Please put an example sentence together and we all will have a common reference point. – Michael Dorgan Jun 17 '15 at 20:29

B and C are in between A and D. They are also in the middle of the set as a whole, but it feel a bit awkward to say in the middle of A and D.

To your other examples:

Please select the items that follow C. (D,E)

Please select the items that precede C. (A,B)

Please select the items that are between B and D (C).

or you can use a progressive tense:

Please select the items that are following/preceding C.

I cannot think of any other way to say between two items without adding extra information that may not be correct:

are in the middle of - not quite right.

...items that lie between - still using between.

items which come after B and come before D - way too wordy.

Hope this helps!

  • 2
    Can't we just use ...items that are margined or bounded by? – Lucian Sava Jun 17 '15 at 22:03
  • Hmmm - we could, but aren't nearly as common. "margined by" does imply being to the outside, but it is not common at all. "bound by" feels very much like a mathematical term, but this sense could work: "Please select the items that are bound by B and D." So, you are correct in that those terms could sub for between pretty cleanly, but they would feel strange due to their rarity. – Michael Dorgan Jun 17 '15 at 22:18
  • As @LucianSava suggested "bounded items" seems promising. – Ahmad Jun 18 '15 at 6:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.