What word describes the below definition best?

A knowledge which is interesting from more than one field point of view.

Would polyvalent suit this definition?

  • What audience are you trying to reach? Because I have a rather good vocabulary and I had no idea that word could be used that way. – Nathan Tuggy Jun 18 '15 at 5:42
  • @NathanTuggy: researchers of various fields. – faithfulstudent Jun 18 '15 at 5:45
  • 1
    If any of them are chemists or physicists, I would not advise that; honestly, I'm not sure it's a good idea to throw around six-dollar words like that anyway. Just express what you're trying to say as plainly and simply as possible. – Nathan Tuggy Jun 18 '15 at 5:55

For the information of future readers:

'Polymath' or 'Renaissance Man' would correctly describe a person with knowledge of interest to more than one field.

To describe the knowledge itself, you might choose the adjective multidisciplinary. Multidisciplinary knowledge is of interest to people from more than one field.


'Polymath' or 'Renaissance Man'

From Merriam-Webster:

Polymath: a person of encyclopedic learning

and from Dictionary.com:

Renaissance man: ( sometimes lowercase ) a present-day man who has acquired profound knowledge or proficiency in more than one field

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.