As I checked the google, expertise is a noun and means "expert skill or knowledge in a particular field".

I made the following sentence:

.. doesn’t require expertise knowledge of HTML.

As I checked google for the phrase "require expertise knowledge", it found 99,100 cases; However in some of them knowledge came after a comma after expertise like:

Knowledge worker's are employees who require expertise, knowledge, or information from others to perform their jobs effectively

Can I rely on these results and employ this phrase?

Can the noun "expertise" which is a synonym of "knowledge" come before it to make a phrase?

  • 2
    Expert knowledge
    – user6951
    Jun 19, 2015 at 13:37
  • @pazzo I myself found this phrase too "... doesn’t require expertise in HTML"
    – Ahmad
    Jun 19, 2015 at 13:40
  • @Ahmad, take a look at my answer for this. In short: 'doesn't require experise in HTML' means 'doesn't require being a HTML expert' or 'doesn't require expert knowledge of HTML'.
    – amblina
    Jun 19, 2015 at 13:53

1 Answer 1


'Expertise knowledge' is not correct, I would use 'expert knowledge' or 'expertise' instead of 'expertise knowledge'

Knowledge worker's are employees who require expertise, knowledge, or information from others to perform their jobs effectively

Expertise is mostly synonymous with 'expert knowledge'. In the phrase 'expert knowledge', 'expert' is used as an adjective to describe the type/level of 'knowledge'. The word 'expert' can also be used as a noun to describe a person who has 'expertise' or 'expert knowledge'.

A person is an expert A person has expertise

In regards to your specific sentence:

.. doesn’t require expert knowledge of HTML.

.. doesn't require expertise in HTML

  • Thank you, can we conclude if we found a 'noun' it can't become before another noun? and it must be only adjective? if no, which nouns usually come together?
    – Ahmad
    Jun 19, 2015 at 13:57
  • 2
    You can get nouns before nouns in sentences but usually they are used to help you describe something more specifically than if you had only used one noun. These are called compound nouns. For example if I said: 'he is a player', you would not know what kind of player he was/what he played. If I said 'he is a piano player', you have more information. These can be found hyphenated e.g. 'noun-noun' or with a space 'noun noun' or even with no space e.g. 'nounnoun'. More details + more examples can be found here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_compound#Types_of_compound_nouns
    – amblina
    Jun 19, 2015 at 14:49
  • @Ahmad You can say expertise knowledge, but that is not how native speakers would say it. Sometimes there is no rule to go by, only how native users put the words together.
    – user6951
    Jun 19, 2015 at 15:24
  • @Ahmad: nouns can modify nouns. tree knowledge would be knowledge of trees. So expertise knowledge would be knowledge of expertise, which could make sense in only a very strained context, knowing which person in an organization is expert in which subject, for example.
    – TimR
    Jun 19, 2015 at 16:03
  • @TRomano, I hadn't considered that one could have knowledge of expertise when writing this!
    – amblina
    Jun 19, 2015 at 16:08

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .