I've seen people using "a/an" before MA, BA, B.Tech, BE, MBA, etc. I want to know if "a/an" is always necessary to be used before the names of courses or degrees. Is it incorrect if I write MA without the indefinite article "a/an"?Are the following sentences correct or incorrect?

I want to do MA.

I am doing B.tech.

  • 1
    In American English, we don't "do" a degree, we "get" a degree. – Tᴚoɯɐuo Jun 21 '15 at 15:54

Yes, use of the indefinite article is certainly most common before the names of such qualifications:

I want to do an MA. I am doing a BTEC (or B.tech).

It seems incorrect to me to not use an indefinite article before them.

This is because they are shortened versions of the real words (MA = Master of Arts, for example), and we have omitted the word 'degree' or 'qualification' after them.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.