For example, if I was hit by a bicycle, should I tell the police a "cyclist" or "bicyclist" hit me. If either one, which one is more common in AmE?

1 Answer 1


Strictly speaking, cyclist includes someone riding a cycle with a number of wheels other than two: unicycle, tricycle or quadricycle.

However, the use of bicyclist nowadays is not very common. Unless of course there was a mixed group of bicyclists and tricyclists and you wanted to be specific.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .