What's the correct way to refer to two consecutive digits 0?

  • double zero?
  • double zeros?
  • double zeroes?

Here's an example phrase:

The number ends with double zero[es].


In this case, "double zero" is a singular noun referring to two zeros. So you'd say:

There's a double zero.

If you're referring to multiple zeros in plural, you'd use "zeros":

There are two zeros.

Zeroes is a verb meaning to adjust to zero. For example, taring a scale:

I zeroed the scale.

He zeroes the scale.

| improve this answer | |

The others nailed the reasoning, but just for extra evidence, Google Ngrams confirms that "double zero" is the most commonly-used option:

Chart showing historical trends of "double zero", "double zeros", and "double zeroes" over time with "double zero" having a significantly higher frequency

Interestingly "double zeros" seems to had a brief popularity spike around the 1950s where it tied with "double zero".

| improve this answer | |
  • "two zeros" shows even more use than "double zero". – Dan Getz Jul 10 '15 at 20:45
  • 1
    I left that out because it could be used in more contexts than the "double" family. (I would guess the spike after WWII in the "two zeros" graph is larger than the rest at least partially because of Japanese Zero fighter planes) – Sabre Jul 13 '15 at 22:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.