I want to write a sentence:

I have the right to voice my __

The word I'm looking for to fill the gap means unsatisfaction and resentment/complain but in a more subtle and formal way.

I vaguely remember a word starting with the alphabets: disc--, which perhaps would suffice here, but can't seem to remember or find. However, I'm not limited to that word only; any suggestions would be welcome.

  • The word you're trying to remember – it wouldn't happen to be disgust, would it? I have the right to voice my disgust. – J.R. Jul 18 '15 at 17:57
  • @J.R. If it is, it certainly isn't "subtle and formal". :) – Catija Jul 18 '15 at 18:03
  • @J.R. Not really. Every time I think about this word, all that comes to my mind is the word "discernment", which, I know, means something else entirely. But I think ( I may be extremely wrong, in which case I'm sorry to have wasted your time) that there a word that is may be spelt similar to this, with the meaning of dissatisfaction. I have spent 2 hrs looking for the word; vocabulary is not my strong point. – Sara Jul 18 '15 at 18:16
  • 1
    @Sara do you mean discontent? – jimsug Jul 18 '15 at 22:20
  • 1
    disagreement, disquietude, a right to voice my misgivings, my reservations ....? – Araucaria - Not here any more. Jul 19 '15 at 23:40

Based on the beginning you think the word might have, it sounds like you're looking for "dissent".

refusal to agree with an official decision or accepted opinion
- These voices of dissent grew louder.

If you prefer to be even more subtle, you can use "opinion".

your ideas or beliefs about a particular subject
- The two women had very different opinions about drugs.

Your opinion, can be for or against the topic but using it in your example sentence would generally imply that you're against the topic and want to explain why.

  • 1
    You could combine these: I have the right to voice my dissenting opinion. – J.R. Jul 18 '15 at 17:56
  • @J.R. Very true. :) – Catija Jul 18 '15 at 17:56

One possibility would be:

I have the right to voice my disapproval.


1) failure or refusal to approve; rejection
2) unfavorable opinion; condemnation

  • In a similar vein, "dissatisfaction" works nicely here. – Eric Jul 18 '15 at 23:19

You could also say:

I have the right to voice my grievances.

Example sentence:

I have the right to voice my grievances, along with every other citizen.


The perfect word here is 'displeasure'. This clearly states your feelings, whilst inviting the recipient to put things right if they value your friendship or custom (depending on the context). If you use the word 'disgust', they might feel you are so angry it is not worth reasoning with you for the moment, or trying to find a solution. Using the word 'grievance' would suggest that things have gone beyond the stage where friendly discussion might rectify things and that any ongoing correspondence will perhaps involve authorities, lawyers et al.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.