It's a bridge that allows people to cross a road. How can I call it? Can it be a pedestrian overpass or pedestrian footbridge?

enter image description here

  • Either would be fine.
    – Daniel
    May 10, 2013 at 16:56
  • I would go with "Foot Overbridge". That's the usual term used for such bridges.
    – Mohit
    May 10, 2013 at 17:03
  • 1
    @Mohit: It looks to me as if most of the 530 hits for Foot Overbridge are Indian usages. But pedestrian overpass gets 13,300, pedestrian footbridge 2060, and pedestrian bridge 56,300. May 10, 2013 at 17:33
  • 2
    @Mohit I agree with FumbleFingers. "Foot Overbridge" is not a term I have ever heard used. In fact, until you used it and I looked it up, I did not know that "overbridge" was an established word. May 10, 2013 at 17:36
  • @KenB: Me, I'd just stick with footbridge. In all relevant contexts, the only significant feet are those of pedestrians anyway. May 10, 2013 at 17:37

2 Answers 2


"Pedestrian overpass", "foot bridge", and "pedestrian bridge" are all good terms. "Pedestrian footbridge" seems redundant to me. As opposed to what, an "automobile footbridge"?

I think "pedestrian bridge" is fairly common for such bridges over highways and the like. http://www.excelbridge.com/for-owners/bridge-types

"Foot bridge" is common for bridges along a trail or foot path. http://www.redwoodbridges.com/build_footbridge.html

  • 1
    Stretching, but "equestrian footbridge"? May 10, 2013 at 18:24
  • Haha. +1 just for making me laugh; "automobile footbridge" ;) At any rate, nice answer :)
    – WendiKidd
    May 10, 2013 at 21:09
  • @DanNeely Good point! I hadn't thought of that.
    – Jay
    May 13, 2013 at 22:56

In British English it would simply be a "footbridge", even over a major road.

"Pedestrian footbridge" would be tautological.

"Pedestrian bridge" seems long-winded.

"Overbridge" is tautological - you can't have an "underbridge".

And I think only highway engineers might call it an "overpass".

  • Thanks a lot TrevorD! I think "footbridge" is easy for me to call it too.
    – nkm
    May 11, 2013 at 14:33

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .